Sunday, December 4, 2011

Artist of the Month- Simon Grunberger

This months' Artist of the Month is relatively new to the HK acting community. Here's a little chance to get to know him better. You may have seen him in Coffee and Cigarettes in October. He is a special actor in Hong Kong that is bi-lingual and most of all a nice person!
His self portrait...




1. Name, Birthplace, Age
Simon Grunberger, Belgium, 37

2. How does where you were raised affect your work?
Not sure it does ( lol ). I was raised into a safe environment within a small Jewish community in Antwerp, Belgium. This probably allowed me to be open and giving. Two qualities I apply in my theater work.

3. Where did you train?
At Circle In The Square Theater School in NYC and countless theatre workshops with people with different techiques and from different backgrounds.

4. What is your favorite style of (theater)? Why?
Comedy comes naturally to me, so I would say comedies. But I am open to all styles, since this is the most exciting part of being an actor: researching the part, push new boundaries, discover something new about yourself,… Sticking to what you know and staying in your comfort zone does not help you grow as an actor and definitely not as a human being.

5. What was the best show you EVER saw?
There has been quite a few but the one that first pops up in my head is The Marriage Proposal by Anton Tchekov that I saw this small Russian company perform at the theatre festival in Avignon. They played it in Russian and I did not understand a word! I loved it so much I went to see it again the next day! It goes to show you that language should not be a barrier. If the emotions are real, they can transcend cultures and borders. Emotions are universal and when we tab into them we can all relate to them.

6. What was the best show in HK you EVER saw? (You cannot say your own.)
Haven’t been here long enough to say. I have seen a couple shows and they both had interesting things to offer but no ‘’waow’’ effect yet!

7.What piece of work are you the most proud of? (please include photo, if possible)
I think there is pride in every piece of work I did ( I am an optimist, what can I do! ).
However, the 2 plays I directed gave me a lot of satisfaction: The Conference of the Birds and A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

8. What is your process like?
Not going to rehearsal with a bunch of preconceived ideas. Allowing myself to explore and work organically with the others actors on stage and what they have to offer me. I like experimenting and allow myself to go beyond what I thought I was capable of.

9. What is your dream project?
Too many to mention! I would love it though if Peter Brook picked me for one of his play!

10. If you could change one thing about the art scene in HK, what would it be?
I am not too familiar with that scene yet but what seems important to me is working together and being aware of what everybody can bring to the theater community.

1 comment: