Friday, March 2, 2012

Artist of the Month- March- Daniel Garcia

 Daniel Garcia is not new to the theatre scene in Hong Kong but he has been flying under the radar.
Becoming a big wig in HK's voice acting scene over the past year with his big break in the cartoon series, "Dream Defenders", Daniel hasn't hit the stage too often. Recently he was cast in California Suite! We thought this a great opportunity to highlight the talents of a fellow Southern American Thespian who makes us laugh every time we hang out with him! Born and raised in the great state of Texas, Daniel is an actor we hope to see lighting up the "Great White Way" in the future!

You can catch him in California Suite when it performs with Sweet (Suite? haha!) and Sour Productions in May!


1. Name, Birthplace, Age

Daniel Garcia, Denton Texas, 26

2. How does where you were raised affect your work?

Texas has a very good arts program. I have been doing theatre since I was five. I went to High School and competed in state and national competitions. I remember I was asked by a Judge where I was from and I said Texas. He said “Oh, that makes sense. Some of the best come from Texas.” So, I was fortunate to be surrounded by other very talented actors and singers when I was in High School. Our teachers really gave us good training on our craft. I went on to University to pursue my acting career.

3. Where did you train?

I got my degree in Performance Art at the University of North Texas. It was a great University. I got to be in many shows and even work in collaboration with the Dallas Shakespeare Company which is a high honor.

4. What is your favorite style of theatre? Why?

I really enjoy live theatre because I love to hear the audience applaud. I get an extra boost of energy and work even harder to dazzle the audience. When I’m in a recording studio or behind a camera I don’t get that feedback. So, I don’t know if I’m doing ok or need to change it up. There really is no better feeling for me than to step out onto a stage. For me it’s like coming home.

5. What was the best show you EVER saw?

I would have to say Wicked. It was a fantastic show. I really love the songs, the costumes, and the technical design of the set. The acting was amazing. I was really transported into their world and got caught up in the moment. I would sing along, be impressed with their dancing, and even get a little teary eyed at certain times. I thought it spoke to audiences of all ages. I really would like to see it over and over again.

6. What was the best show in HK you EVER saw? (You cannot say your own.)

I saw Songs for a New World performed by Katterwall. It was full of laughter and tears. It was performed in a black box theatre so it was quite intimate. I really was captivated by the story, and their out of this world singing capabilities. I found myself singing the songs after the show.

7.What piece of work are you the most proud of? (please include photo, if possible)

This is a hard question because there have been a few different roles that are very dear to me for many reasons. But if I am forced to only say one then I would have to choose my role on the cartoon series Dream Defenders. I voice the main character Zane. The show is a 3D cartoon series that is currently being aired in the US. I am proud of it because it is a massive step for my career as an actor. I also like knowing that my voice can be heard coast to coast in my home country. It is 26 episodes long and was a lot of hard work but I enjoyed it all.

8. What is your process like?

I like to create a backstory for my character. I like to think about what his likes and dislikes are. I think about what his mannerisms are and how he would walk. I often like to draw on movies for inspiration of how to create my character.

I learn lines quickly in rehearsals. I don’t really like to memorize lines alone in my room because I like to have an organic relationship with my cast mates. I like to make it feel more realistic with honest reactions. I don’t like a robotic way of always delivering a line the same way because that’s how I memorized it. Acting is reacting and it’s about how your character would react to what is given to you.

9. What is your dream project?

I would love to be Simba in The Lion King. I really have loved that show since I was a kid and think it would be so much fun. It would be incredible to work on a massive show like that. It really would put a smile on my face. When I was a kid I think I watched that movie 100 times. Ha Ha. It would be amazing to become a character I loved as a kid. It would be cool to talk to my 6 year old self and say “One day that will be you.” Really any role on Broadway would be an honor.

10. If you could change one thing about the art scene in HK, what would it be?

Well, in a city of 7 million I would think that the arts scene would be bigger. Yes, you can go to concerts, ballets, plays, but they are few and far between. And you really have got to know where to look. And the quality of shows may not always be adequate. I would like to see more productions going up of a good quality. Also the price of admission is really high. I think it deters some people from going to the theatre. Yes, I know it costs money to make a show and people need to be paid but the admission price needs to come down. I could almost see a Broadway show for the same price.

___________________________________________________________________________
 We think Daniel is an awesome Mr. March! We love his choices of shows. We adored Songs for a New World when it performed here! And we loved Wicked when we saw it on Broadway! Show price is something local shows always struggle with in this town... But perhaps with blogs like ours people can find out about great local artists like Daniel and expand their cultural horizons!

1 comment:

  1. Is he single? I think you should include the relationship status of your artists as a lot of them have been cute!

    ReplyDelete